The International Cricket Council (ICC) Board met via teleconference today with all agenda items deferred until 10 June 2020 following a discussion, led by Chairman Shashank Manohar, around the issue of confidentiality, a press release from cricket’s governing body read.
After months of uncertainty, the International Cricket Council (ICC) was expected to finally decide on the fate of the men’s 2020 World T20 in Australia with an eye on the Covid-19 pandemic on Thursday. The flagship event was slated to be held in Australia from October 18 to November 15.
The ICC had yesterday said suggestions that the men’s Twenty20 World Cup in Australia, scheduled to start in October, had been postponed due to the coronavirus were “inaccurate”, although it said contingencies were being explored.
A number of Board members had raised their concerns over these speculations and felt it required immediate attention to ensure the sanctity and confidentiality of Board matters in line with the highest standards of governance.
There was unanimous agreement to immediately initiate an independent investigation led by the ICC’s Ethics Officer and supported by global experts. The Board will be updated on this by the ICC CEO at its next meeting on 10 June 2020.
The Board also requested the ICC management continue with their discussions with stakeholders in exploring various contingency options in light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the COVID 19 virus.